Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Birds of a Feather - Take 3

Last week, I talked about the problems I was having, casting on my Birds of a Feather shawl. The yarn of first choice was defective, so I had to pick a new yarn to get started. Since it was a long weekend and my choices were limited to what was in my stash, I chose a blue-green yarn.

I was already behind on the knit along, so I have been trying to catch up. A trip to a family gathering over the weekend seriously cut into my knitting time, so it was today before I finished Part 1.

An interesting start to the shawl. The 691 stitches had become 649 stitches, in 23 rows...really long rows.

I wanted to tone down the green and make the shawl bluer, so I chose this lovely angora blend for my second colour.
All was well until I started the second part and discovered that I had not put the point in the centre of the knitting and my second part wasn't working.

So this is what it looks like now.
And I have started again.
Just over 300 stitches left to cast on. While the variegated yarn relaxes, I will start with the solid this time.

Knitting teaches you that if things aren't working out, sometimes you just need to give up and start again. It also teaches you to count carefully, and I should know better.

Meanwhile, Grayson is now healthy and will be moving on to his forever family soon. Here he is, guarding the space under my chair while I knit in the sun room.


And here he is, hunting for bugs that got through the screens, or came in with the dog.



Linking to Needlework Tuesday at Books and Quilts.





5 comments:

  1. how frustrating for you with the shawl - I hope this go round goes better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned that if something is bothering me with a project, I might as well undo and start again. it will forever bug me If I don't correct it. When I have to cast on huge numbers, I put stitch markers at even spaces to make the counting easier. I like you choice of yarns, will be looking forward to seeing how they look together.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once i enlarged your final photo I could see that you had stitch markers to count your cast on stitches. Third times is the charm right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I feel your pain! Knitting does keep up humble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those yarns will be beautiful together, but 691 stitches? again? Yikes. Grayson is so beautiful, too. He's got those tiger markings, and such a pretty face. Good luck, Grayson, in your new home!

    ReplyDelete