Thursday, November 24, 2016

Busy Week

With a new baby in the family, I have spent a lot of time this week, running errands for the new parents. This has limited my artistic time. However, I did get a couple of non-baby projects done. Christmas is coming!


I finished a pair of lace fingerless mitts. This was the first time I have done an afterthought thumb. I had a little problem because all the tutorials on line assumed that the thumb was in stocking stitch, and this one is ribbing. I am not sure I got it right, but done is better than perfect! The yarn is a bamboo nylon blend so it doesn't block very well. However, I expect they will block with wearing.



In the silly department, this is a sock with a flip flop toe, for someone who wears flip flops all year round. Since the first sock used about 48 gm of the ball, I am not even bothering to try to make the second one match. I fear I won't have enough yarn, if I match the stripes.

Tomorrow, I am teaching the church ladies how to make a Granny Square block. I wrote a tutorial here, but I left out one picture.

So here is the missing picture.

Now, I just need to turn my first attempt into a pdf file for them. I cut 27- 2.5" wof stripes, that need to be turned into 3.5" lengths so that all the blocks have the same outside fabric. It reminds me of why I don't do quilts that start "make 95 half square triangles."

6 comments:

  1. I like the fingerless mitts......a bit of glitz and glam for a cold day! And the socks, who said they both had to match anyway? If you wear socks with thongs (flip flops are called "thongs" here) then you are daring enough to wear odd socks. I like the Granny Square, will they all be combined into one quilt or will each granny make her own quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mittens and the socks and the quilt block! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks are so popular in Japan!! And a gorgeous block or set of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the afterthought thumb (or heel)! However, I don't think I've ever done one in ribbing either. Hmmmm.... I'll bet you made it look just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lacy mittens are gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete