Monday, December 5, 2016

The time has come. The time is now.

Go. Just go. I don't care how. - Dr. Suess

One of my kids' favourite books was Marvin K. Mooney, Will You Please Go Now?

Have you had a project on your UFO pile and wake up one day to say NOW, get it done!

This might have had something to do with it.


Yes, there is snow. Snow is a great incentive to finish off projects of Christmas's past.

So, yesterday, I pulled out my Christmas Tree Skirt.


I bought a kit in a January clearance at Connecting Threads. The selvedge says that the fabric is from 2009, so that was probably 2010. I got the blacks pieced one year. Then Christmas came, and it went into the hold pile. Sometime later, I put the top together. Then Christmas came and it went on the hold pile. The back went missing. It has been on my UFO list for my quilt group THREE times.

I ironed everything yesterday, pieced the back and made the binding.


See, nice bias binding, I made yards of it. It still needs to be folded, but it is made.

Today, I have found a piece of batting, my pins and my masking tape. The floor in the spare room is free of any debris. I should have it basted in a short time. I think the quilting will be cross hatching, simple and quick. After all, it is basically a quilt for the cat to sleep on.


This isn't my current batch of kittens. The tree isn't up yet. I have until Sunday to finish this!

8 comments:

  1. That will be a very elegant tree skirt.......and yes, I can see why you accomplish so much in winter, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a UFO sprawled across my big quilt table right now. I even bought some more fabric for the sashing yesterday at a blitz sale at Fabricland. Will the wee quilt get done in time for Christmas??? Not flippin' likely!
    I've stopped taping my quilts to the floor. I noticed some funny spots starting to show on the hardwood floor and have now determined it is caused by the tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny,how snow can create a storm of energy to finish the job. It must be contagious as pillow covers from 2005 got finished. Way to hibernate. Looking forward to seeing it gracing your tree. Those kities will love it, cta know a good thing when they see it. Quilts attract cats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way you document the years that were involved. But the kitties, my pick of the day ( naturally ).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your tree skirt/cap nap blanket is going to be lovely. Love the blues!

    We are snowed in for the second straight day with no end in sight. I, too, am looking at projects that have been sitting for awhile, but the desire to finish them hasn't struck me just yet. Perhaps if this blizzard stretches on for another day or two....:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it, Kate! The fabric is gorgeous. The kitten just completes it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every project has its own plan. That`s why I don`t really mind leaving something that doesn`t want to be finished right at that moment. Looks like this is the right time for your tree skirt. It`s going to be beautiful. It just needs a little cat hair for that extra special `something`.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason it always surprises me when I pull out a UFO and find out how little time it will take to finish. I wonder why I didn't finish them originally. Glad you got this one done.

    ReplyDelete