Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Some Progress is Being Made

I was thinking I hadn't done much this week. However, I got more done than I thought.

I admire people who can get a quilt top done in a day or so, but that will never be me. I like to sew a bit, knit a bit, read a bit. In between, there are meals to create, foster cats to take to appointments, dogs to walk. Obviously, I am more of a generalist.

Last week, I had this pile of bits of fabric.


This week, I have the wall hanging flimsy done. The blocks are pieced in a kind of free style fashion, using the blue fabric to make each block 12".  The centre block is the Trans-Canada Block Party block, from Textile Traditions in Almonte, ON.


Since the request was for a New Brunswick quilt, I think I have succeeded. The dear one who asked for this has given whole-hearted approval to my efforts. I plan to piece a couple more of those bits into a backing, maybe add some other bits from my stash. Next up, trying to decide how to quilt it.

I was knitting last night, while cuddling the current foster cat, and we were watching Amazing Race Canada. I love that show, seeing parts of Canada I would not otherwise see, wondering who would be crazy enough to compete. I was thrilled last night, when the final challenge was to solve a math problem. The majority of the contestants immediately did the "I'm not good at math" thing. I have a hard time understanding why people think this isn't a life skill they need. A team of two young women stepped up to their white board, grabbed the calculator, and promptly solved the problem going from 5th place to first. They won that leg of the race and a trip to some exotic locale. I cheered! GEEK GIRLS RULE!

6 comments:

  1. Love the quilt top. Without math the world would be lost. Quilts use it all the time. Maybe a stipple or some ocean waves for the quilting?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of that fabric panel to make a unique top......without maths we couldn't make quilts, could we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful quilt, with the blue those blocks show off so well.And, us gals, can do anything we set our minds to. Maths, a basic necessity every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,
    I'm the same way, doing lots of things over the week. I embroider a little, quilt a little and read a little. Love that blue background, makes the quilt really "pop". Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wall hanging is lovely, Kate! Since you asked... I would outline the motifs and center block with a straight stitch and then do a fairly tight meandering stitch in the blue area. I know meandering isn't all that popular right now but it's a nice overall stitch and would make all of your other elements stand out. The center block is quite large so you would probably want to stitch around the maple leaf as well. While you are at it, you might want to add some stitching details in the motifs. OK, that's how I get carried away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, the top looks lovely. I would go with waves in the quilting as another suggested. perhaps add a few swirls in the ocean for interest.

    As for math, can't live without it. I hated when I used to purchase sewing patterns and they always showed that you needed more fabric if you bought metric that imperial lengths. Go figure. Need 1 yard and 1.1 metres. that makes no sense.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete