Thursday, February 11, 2016

Progress - Drop Everything Day 11

My journal says that I have been pretty consistent at working on something every day. Some days I sew for 2 hours, other days, I read patterns for 20 minutes. My challenge, my rules, so it all counts!

I received the pattern for the February bag for the Bag of the Month club. It is called the Window Shopper Tote, and it is huge! I expect it will make a great travel bag. You can see samples of it here.

Meanwhile, I am making progress on my January bag.





The outer shell of the bag is finished. Like a recipe I have never done before, I am following the instructions pretty much as given.  Looking at it, I see things I would change if I ever make it again. I think I would make it a bit smaller, to begin with. The bag is much larger then my usual purse. However, there is room for my knitting project bag along with my usual stuff.

The outer pockets don't sit quite the way I would like. I think if I do it again, I would add some fleece to the outer pocket. The pattern calls for just one layer of interfacing. Since the outer pockets have magnetic snaps, I think a stiffer pocket would be more to my liking. I also think I would skip the back pocket (which is the same as the front) and put in a zippered pocket at the back, for my keys and phone.

Finally, I think I would replace the twist lock with an inset zipper.

While the twist lock looks fabulous, very professional, it is really hard to install, requiring assistance from the resident brawn, as well as a punch to make the holes. It looks lovely and shiny, now that it is in. You can see the camera reflected in the plate around it.




Next up is a zippered pocket in the lining.



My initial plan was to use the purple zipper (of course), but I am going to line the pocket in hot pink, so I am thinking the blue might be better.

The white, which goes with both fabrics will just be lost, I think. Although, looking at the picture, maybe it is the right choice.



In my spare time, I have been continuing work on my lace socks.  The heel is turned, and the foot is nearly half done.

I used an "Eye of Partridge" heel, and I think it suits the sock, nicely. The yarn is a bright white, with a sparkle in it, but I took the picture late last night, so it looks ecru.

Hint of the Week (thanks, Michelle): My machine started making a loud clunking noise, so I cleaned under the bobbin. Now it is nice and quiet, again. When was the last time you cleaned the lint out of the bobbin area?





8 comments:

  1. Nice work on your January bag!!! I like your comparison to following a recipe. That's exactly what I do the first time I make something. Love the February examples, too. I can't wait to see what your version looks like.

    I think any of the zippers will look nice in the bag. Personally, I'd choose one that would stand out the most. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm finding those little zipper pulls inside a dark purse on a cold, dark winter night to be the bane of my existence. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super bag, looking so good. I have a friend who is the "WHIZZ" at machine repairs, no wonder as this is his profession. He has the most amazing mini air compressor for blowing out all dust and debris. With 2 machines and a 4 thread overlocker here, I think maybe for my next "un-birthday" present I might get one!!! And as all the under part of a machine is closed, how does all that stuff get in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm......I don't like big bags, the temptation is to put a lot in them which makes them heavy, and I have a crook shoulder! Love those pretty sparkly socks, aren't they gorgeous? Someone I know was very surprised to find out that the felt pad in her machine's bobbin area wasn't supposed to be there.....she thought it was for sound absorption......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the lace socks. So pretty. That heel flap is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bag looks amazing! The. Lace socks, stunning. What a lucky bride.doing the twenty minute a day has me busting my stash with energy and it is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous work, Kate! And, OMG, I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets to clean her machine frequently! LOL!

    Thank you for linking to TN&TN's WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure and steady wins. Thanks for sharing the progress of this bag. i'd go with the blue zipper. i like a little spark of colour and it would compliment the pink fabric.
    The socks looks great. I finally started on the first pair in the craftsy class. I'm ready to do my first wrapped row.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a nice bag! Thanks for reminding me to clean my machine!

    ReplyDelete