Sunday, June 20, 2021

This and That

 After a week of power sewing, I have spent the past week recovering.

I have spent 40 months involved in a church team, working toward becoming an Affirming Ministry. Affirming Ministries are welcome, inclusive, loving and seek justice for all creation. This, of course, includes the LGBT community and their family and friends. Last Sunday, we asked the congregation if they agreed to become an Affirming Ministry.  This explains the rainbow heart pulpit fall. 


This is what people saw on Zoom, last Sunday. 

I also made sure the participants were suitably rainbow attired.


Masks and ribbons for everyone who was in the building (there were 10).

The vote was overwhelmingly in approval of moving forward. So, I'll need to make a communion table runner, next!

My current bag project is nearly finished. The lining has been finished. The interior pockets are in place, and the lining has been stitched into the bag. 


As you can see, the bag was too thick to complete the top stitching, over the front strap. However, that will be under the flap.  I just have the crossbody strap to finish now.

I got myself a treat. I was given a gift certificate to a fabric shop I don't often shop at. I have had it for months so I decided to look for something to use it on. I don't usually buy them, but I got a fat quarter pack.


This is 7 fabrics from the Tula Pink collection " Curiouser and Curiouser", in the blue colourway. Sadly, it didn't include the Cheshire Cat fabric.


One of my pet peeves is fat quarters that aren't cut on the straight of grain. Really, how hard can it be. This one is out by about 1/2" in one direction and 1" in the other. I suspect that it is caused by the manufacturers not printing the design straight, on the fabric and the stores trying to follow the pattern on the fabric. Interfacing on the back of the fabric helps when it is going to be a bag. However, sewing in straight lines is much easier, if the fabric is cut on grain.


Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Antependium

 An antependium (in case you didn't know) is a hanging for the front of an alter, pulpit, or lectern. In the church where I spent my youth, it was know as a "Pulpit fall". I suspect antependium was considered too high church for us.

Anyway, I recently received a request for an antependium to be used for Pride. I needed something quick, and fortunately, Sandra, from Musings of a Menopausal Melon, had a cushion on her blog, complete with a link to the tutorial.

It was about the correct size, so I was off to my stash. I had all the fabric that I needed, except for a soft pink. Apparently when you are the mother of boys and the grandmother of a little boys, soft pink isn't in your palette. A friend helped me out, since I just needed the tiniest scrap.

Two days later, TaDa!


It has a sleeve at the top, with velcro on the back, to attach it to the pulpit, or hang it from a dowel.

It is now off to church!

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

In Which Some Progress is Made

 My goal for May seems to be running into June, but it is nearly finished. 

First off, the magnetic closure experiment: it is a success, though I think it might need a bit of improvement. 


I have the metal keeper piece attached to the loop side of the velcro strap. I think next time, I would put it between the fabric so only one layer is between it and the magnet piece. 



I used a piece of washi tape to show which side the magnets are on so I can sew it the correct way around.


This is the fancy decorative strap, which has no use except to look pretty.

The front of the bag has an overlay and the pattern said to fold 1/4" under before top stiching it. Since the piece was going to be interfaced, I used a trick I learned in applique.


I stitched the interfacing to the edge that needed turning, then fused it to the back.


A much neater edge than I would get just trying to fold it under.

Today, I gave myself a sew day, and made major progress.


The exterior of the bag is finished! The curved edges went together without a single tuck or pucker. No stitch ripper was required today, except to put the magnetic snap on the back pocket. I've learned so much from other bags, that have come together to make this bag. Double sided tape keeps things in place. A basting glue stick is a big help to hold things, sometimes. Moving the needle often makes the top stitching much tidier. 

The lining and the strap are left to do. 

I finally took pictures of my "Through the Witches Garden" shawl, outside in the sunshine.



The colours are so much brighter in the sun.