Thursday, September 16, 2021

Staying Home Isn't All Bad

 Some of you might know that I take immuno-suppressants for my chronic illness. So, I am still staying home, to stay safe. I am a pro at staying home now, and I have discovered some good things.

1. The library has lots of resources available online, like magazines and newspapers, all available for free. Of course, there are also books available as ebooks and audio books. I haven't tried audio books yet because I'm not sure i can keep track of the story.

2. I now have my own yoga studio.


The classes are on Zoom, and the tablet is currently sitting on the stool for my vintage singer machine. You see, they share the room. Yoga blocks work well to raise your feet up if the floor is too far away from your knee and your machine has a knee control.


The room also stores my knitting yarn and the spare bed. 

3. I have discover online sources for all my sewing. knitting and bag making supplies, so I don't have to worry about picking a project and not having what I need.


This fabulous fabric and zipper came from Blue Calla Bags in Toronto. I ordered on Friday and it was here, Monday. She still has the zipper tape but I think the fabric is sold out.


The hardware for the bag came from Emmaline Bags, in Alberta. I had the required hardware in stock, but I may need to take inventory because she usually has a first snow sale, and I need my list ready.


The pattern is a PDF from the Ujamaa Bagettes. Their patterns are on Etsy and Payhip, so they arrive instantly.

Interfacing came from Cleaners Supply and I buy it in bulk, 5 yds at a time. 

4. I have enjoyed streaming British TV on my BritBox subscription. I spend evenings in the Caribbean, or Majorca. I can learn about history or see wonderful gardens. Don't try and knit lace, while Midsomer Murders is just getting to the climax. My biggest grumble is that they don't have the Great British Sewing Bee.

5. I am becoming an expert on seeking out items on the internet for family and friends. I have ordered groceries to be delivered across the country. I've found parts for broken appliances and computers. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get a haircut delivered.

6. I've learned new computer skills. Some of you may have noticed that my mail notifications come from Mail Chimp now. I'm also getting better at photo processing. I'm still figuring out how to use my Chromebook.

I miss my quilt groups and teaching my little knitting students at the library. I hope this will eventually return. Meanwhile, if you are looking for me, I'll be at home.

As always the retail recommendations are my own. I paid for all the products shown.

3 comments:

  1. You have a great set-up in your room - I am quite green! Love the rainbow fabric and zipper, that will be a fun bag. I have shopped online and will continue to do so, but buying undies......no, I need to feel the fabric before I wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staying at home has been a wonderful way to finish very many projects that we have started over the years, spending more quality time with family. Discovering more about ourselves, what we can and could not do. New things we have learnt over the past 18 months. Things we miss and looking for to spending time with our families who live far away. How to use this bits in the most creative ways, ways they were never intended to be used? Quilt retreats will be favoured so much more in the future. Services at home needed: Haircuts at home, not done by oneself using you-tube videos and a vet who can come and see your cat who do not travel well in any vehicle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have a vintage Singer. I had one when I was young and me and my brother used to play on it. One day, I tried using the machine and to my surprise it worked. I altered my school uniform using it. I had no idea what I was doing but somehow managed it. I love staying home too but I have to go out and get groceries and stuff. (it's my exercise)

    ReplyDelete