Saturday, August 10, 2024

Debby Drops In

The remains of tropical storm Debby decided to visit us yesterday. Apparently we got all of the rainfall for August in one day.  We normally get about 88 mm of rain for the whole month and yesterday, we got over 90 mm, in our little corner of the city. The airport, that is south of the city got half that amount. 

The poor dog does not like to get wet, and was going to the door, we would open the door, he would stick his head out, and turn around. He just couldn't believe it was still raining really hard.

We were all safe and dry. There was flooding, but our recent repairs kept the water on the outside. 

I spent much of the afternoon, knitting (and watching an old movie).

I turned the heel on my first sock of the August pair. 


Feeling silly last night, I called this Rainbow Trout. It seemed appropriate after all the rain. The yarn is my favourite Turtle Purl. The pattern is a new one to me called Amaretti. Because it is my first attempt at this pattern, I am following it carefully as written. I think if I make it again, I'll change a couple of things.

I was looking for something in my yarn stash and found a project that was started a long while ago. I got realistic and decided I would never finish it, so I frogged the project and reclaimed the materials.


I now have back 2 cables for interchangeable needles and 8 stitch markers, that I made some years ago. I also have some lace yarn I can use to make something else. I think it is alpaca. It is very liberating to decide that it isn't working and free up the supplies.



 


7 comments:

  1. Alpaca yarn is so soft, I can see a scarf, a shawl or a hat coming up.So thankful you didn't get flooded.Josh is continuing to enjoy B C, watching a Baseball game at the Nat Bailey Stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alpaca is beautiful to work with, and very soft and warm to wear. Love the trout - very apt, given your rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad "Debby" didn't give you much trouble, though I feel sorry for your poor pooch! The new socks are cute -- and I agree; it's lovely to have "new" yarn with which to make something else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very smart to make an executive decision and change things to reuse what we have. Love the sock. So very glad you guys are okay, it has been one very wet summer and spring for us this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got way less rain than predicted. I watched the radar map, and I could see bands of heavier rain passing to the north and south of us. Very random. I'm glad your house was able to handle the deluge. That googly eye in your sock photo is very 'you' if you don't mind saying so. :) I love the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very speedy way to knock a UFO off the list! Lovely fishy sock. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sock your trout... the right name in such weather. How fortunate that the storm stayed outside.
    I have often knitted with alpaca, let's see what you get started with.
    Viola sends you many greetings

    ReplyDelete