Monday, September 2, 2024

An End of Summer Field Trip

Much of my summer has been spent in the company of my grandson. We celebrated the end of summer with a field trip.  At his request, we went to see different Rideau Canal locks than the ones we visited last year.



This is Hogs Back. From here to the Ottawa River, the Rideau River is separate from the Rideau Canal, with the canal moving calmly toward Downtown Ottawa, and the Rideau River rushing over rocks and rapids to meet the Ottawa River at the Rideau Falls. You can read more about it here.

Here we can see wild rushing rapids, as they pass over rocks that were compared to giant hogs in the river. The rapids have been transformed, by a dam, into beautiful waterfalls.



In the midst of this, we saw ducks sunning themselves on the rocks.


Find the ducks!




After climbing to the top of the dam, and walking across, we climbed down to the river and calmer water. It was a gorgeous day. 

We did watch the boats lock through, in the channel to the west of the dam, but that wasn't as exciting as the rocks and the falls.

Some knitting was done. My August socks have been finished.



Because this is Canada, and we know that summer will soon give way to cooler days, I started knitting mittens.


I was gifted this gorgeous yarn and a bunch more like it, so I expect I can make a lot of mittens.



5 comments:

  1. Yes, I now look at Vancouver and Squamish weather and the days are so much cooler than early July.Even here, I have fingerless mitts that are so handy on cool mornings indoors.I now know how the socks match up so well.Fancy getting two balls of matching variegated yarn, I haven't seen those down here, but I probably haven't searched in the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting day out! Well done on the sock finish, and yes, you're right....those mittens will soon be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah...the canal, and Hog's Back...and the Rideau Canal system. You've given me memories of visits long ago. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place to visit! Love the socks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful day for exploring and enjoying nature. The locks are amazing. Mittens already, you are on the ball. The weather looks like autumn already and it’s very early for it. Love the August socks!

    ReplyDelete