Sunday, August 16, 2015

Another Brick and 150!

Just before I went to Syracuse, a couple of friends asked me if I would show them how to make the Brick Bag with a PUL lining.

I have a love/ hate relationship with the PUL fabric, because it doesn't behave in the sewing machine, however, we got together and gave it a try.  I got my bag 3/4 of the way finished while showing them how it was done, and brought it home to finish. It has been sitting waiting ever since. Today, I decided to get it done.

I was told that putting "magic" tape on the bottom of the foot would help the PUL fabric feed and it did improve things a bit, however, I think I need to work on this to get a result I really like. The lining on this bag is tidier then the last, but it could be better. I think it might be easier if I used heavy interfacing instead of the fusible fleece to back the outer fabric.

I used one of my long hoarded Laurel Burch fat quarters for the outer fabric.

I think I will keep this one for my own travel. It looks a good size for a toiletry bag.

The fearless five of my last kindle have gone back to the shelter. They will soon be livening new homes, making their new owners smile.

Meanwhile, I have a singleton. Meet Bentley, # 150 of the foster cats at our house.

Isn't he cute? He looks like a Beanie Baby. He isn't sure about the dogs, yet. Give him time, he will soon have two new best friends.


5 comments:

  1. Dear Kate

    Does Bentley have blue eyes? He looks so cute. The Laurel Birch fabric adds a sparkle everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bentley, you are a gorgeous little guy......if it wasn't so far away you could have a forever home with us! Funny, I used some of my precious Laurel Burch hoard at the weekend too - love her fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a" Teflon Foot" I have sewn heavy duty tarpaulin grade nylon with this, but not again, I needed to get the whole tension redone by a technician afterwards. But it did slide through easier.What about what we call down here " Non-stick-baking paper" that would tear away afterwards? The new arrival, cute as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, boy. Love the bag. Love the little kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Laurel Burch fabrics! Your box bag turned out great.

    And that little kitten is adorable. We had a little black female cat that looked like him when we lived on our acreage in Alberta. We called her Salem after the one in Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

    ReplyDelete