Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Raising Some Hope

 I don't often mention this, but I have an auto-immune disease, that requires that I take very potent immuno-suppression to live a "normal" life. This also means that during Covid-19, I am basically housebound. I have really enjoyed summer because I have been able to enjoy some socially distanced outdoor visits with friends. I am also getting very good at Zoom. 

I am very fortunate to have family and good friends that make sure that I can get everything I need and most everything I want. I am excellent at internet shopping. I have mastered curbside pickup. 

So, where is this going? Not everyone who is immuno-compromised is a fortunate as I am. Bruce House is an Ottawa charity that provides support for those living with HIV/AIDS. I have made donations to them for many years, not significant donations, but donations. This year, much of their fundraising has dried up. PRIDE events are a major source of funding for Bruce House. Since PRIDE events have been cancelled, I decided to step up my fundraising, So, I am participating in the National Capital Pride Run/Walk. I'm in the walking part! I will walk 2.5 km around my neighbourhood (it's on the honour system) and I am asking for people to sponsor me. My goal is to raise $500 for Bruce House. These donations will be matched by a corporate sponsor.

I decided to gift my sponsors with one of my lovely handmade hand sanitizer pouches. If you would like one, I will give you one for a donation of at least $20.

As of today, I have them in these fabrics. There are limited numbers of each. 

I also have cut out these fabrics, which should be pouches by Friday.

I have lots of fabric, so I will even entertain requests, if I have something suitable. I do have more cat fabric. The dogs are in short supply at the moment. I will not be buying any fabric for these, I'm working entirely from stash. So if you tell me you want something in a green stripe, you might be out of luck. If you haven't been here before, my taste in fabric is kind of vibrant. 

The short pouches hold a 60ml bottle of hand sanitizer. 

The taller ones will hold a 100ml. bottle.

They all have a magnetic snap and a clip to attach it to your purse, backpack or your belt loop.

If you would like to help people living with HIV, and you would like one of my hand sanitizer pouches, you can donate here.

https://ncpr2020.itsyourrace.com/donate/CATHERINECHAMBERLAIN-2273670

If you make a donation, contact me through my profile, on the right sidebar, and let me know you donated and what fabric you would like. We can arrange delivery.

If you just want to make your own pouch, you can find the information about the pattern in my previous post, here.


2 comments:

  1. Such a heartfelt post, Kate. I have participated, and sent you an email. Stay safe, we have a second cluster growing each day, lots in quarantine, some in hospital , my fabric masks that can have a bought filter inside have been posted to family north and south, not compulsory yet but promoted as necessary. So glad you have friends who help, in our lockdown friends did grocery shopping, as being over 70, we were advised not to visit a supermarket at all, and we didn't at all for over 4 weeks. Click and Collect, I, too, learnt that skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thing to do!
    Jean sent me here! I am in Ontario, too.

    ReplyDelete