Friday, May 20, 2022

And Then, Suddenly Summer

In this crazy "spring" we are having, the weather suddenly turned hot, and we reached record highs for May. It was 31C (which translates to high 80's for the Americans) , not at all what we expect for mid May. I felt wilted and didn't get much done in the way of sewing.  This was followed by thunderstorms and heavy rain. today, things are a bit more normal.

Sadly, my apple blossoms didn't do well in the hot weather.


They are nearly finished and they just opened.


The pink ones look very sad! Hopefully, we will get enough little crab apples to feed the birds over the winter.

I am actually finishing a quilt, started a very long time ago,


The top resurfaced in my recent tidying and I took it to the long arm quilter to be finished. Now, it just needs its binding. 

I do have plans for a couple of new bags. With this in mind, I placed an order with Emmaline Bags and got some new hardware in sizes I didn't have in stock. This is suited to smaller bags.


Kind of boring, isn't it. Hopefully it will make the bags look classy.


Finally, I was cleaning out a closet and came across this.


This is my shirt from my university days. WISE stands for Women in Science and Engineering. At the time, women made up about 2% of all engineering students, so we were proudly trying to make our presence known. The numbers are higher now, but not what they should be. Sad, because I don't understand what prevents women from joining the profession.



3 comments:

  1. Your shirt, I still have the badge from my High School, 1954!! And a tablecloth my Mum embroidered, before they were married I guess, maybe 1936!!! Good things last forever. Weather changes, we had hot days a few weeks ago, now rain, hail, snow north and further south from us, and WIND.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world is now so warm. Thankfully more women now follow Science and Engineering careers and it is amazing what they contribute to each of their fields. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So debilitating when you get that sudden high temperature, I much prefer a gentle rise. Much more easy to cope with. Love the T shirt, it is a shame that not many have followed in your footsteps. xx

    ReplyDelete