Sunday, September 24, 2023

The Shawl That Never Ends

 I am reminded of a campfire song: "This is the song that never ends, It just goes on and on my friends". At the end of July, 2021, I started a shawl. It was a kit for a Knit Along, and I fell in love with the yarns.


This was the first picture I posted. Somehow, I just decided that I should knit a shawl, in mohair and a very loosely spun merino, that was going to end up over 2metres long, entirely in garter stitch. By the time I figured out that it was not really going to be my thing, I had knitted enough stripes that I couldn't have salvaged that very expensive yarn. It seemed like a better idea just to ignore it. 

I finally told myself I couldn't start another shawl until this one was finished. And then, I just knit a lot of socks, and a couple of baby hats, but no shawls. September came, and along with it, a Fall Finish Along. So I did...Finish! 


As you can see, it is very long. It still needs to be blocked and have 40 or so ends woven in, but all those rows of garter stitch are done.

In celebration, I cast on a pair of socks, of course.


This is the first pair of Christmas socks. There are members of my family who love to get new hand knit socks for Christmas. I like the bright colours, and socks always seem to go faster if the yarn is striped.

Meanwhile, Mudd says he hasn't appeared on the blog, lately, so here he is, helping me knit, with a stolen package of pot scrubbers.



4 comments:

  1. Mudd, you are very helpful. Love the striped socks.....your first shawl pic looks like a necklace. It's very pretty, even if it was a tedious knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the shawl does look rather beautiful! I am glad you have finished it and, of course, socks! I have yarn on order - it has been a while since my last pair. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait till my new kittens become more helpful! Thank you, Mudd, for your inspiration. That's quite the blanket -- er -- shawl! One thing's for certain: it'll keep you cozy!

    ReplyDelete