Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Pouches From Scraps

 I have a couple of projects I should be working on, but I just can't stop making pouches from scraps.

I have mostly finished the the blue bag with the hearts.


I am undecided as to whether I should add the drawstring, or just leave it as a little storage basket.

Lately, I have seen pouches with diagonal zippers on Instagram and YouTube. So I decided to try one, or actually two. A video I watched was showing how to make a pouch with very little waste, by making two at a time.


Tada! Two pouches with diagonal zippers, exactly the same.

I cut the fabric as big as I could get from my chosen scraps. It was about 18 inches square when I was done. I added some frankenbatting from my batting scraps, and quilted the out fabric and the lining together.

I forgot to take a picture of the fabric when I cut it, but I cut them in half with a line 3" on either side of the centre.

Then I added binding to the zipper edge.


You use one side of the zipper tape, that goes the entire length of the zipper edge. I first learned this technique on Joan Hawley's Sweetpea Pods. This was the first zipper I tried.


This is the second zipper trial. In the end, I decided that the black looked better, so I went with black. After you sew the zipper tape to the binding, you add the zipper slide to the two ends of the zipper.

My first attempt at the zipper top stitching wasn't very good.


The second was much better. 


Practice really helps (along with using a better choice of feet.)

I sewed the other seams and overcast the edges to make a clean finish on the inside.


Emme thought she would like to say Hi. She thinks Mudd gets too much attention.

The weather is really weird today. It is currently an unseasonable 13 degrees. The winds are picking up and by bedtime it will be nearly 30 degrees colder. Just for fun, we are going to get high winds and maybe even thunder snow. Things should be rather slippery tomorrow. Good day to stay in and sew.


5 comments:

  1. That's an interesting pouch idea. Hello, Emme.....you wouldn't want to be here today, our forecast is for 38 deg C.....it's much better where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a sucker for a zipped bag, and yours are beautiful, Kate. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emme is such a cute one, the projects looks great and you are filling up your gift box nicely for when you need a gift. Fantastic way to use your stash fabrics and scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about the waste that is generated from making these so making two is the obvious answer, brilliant and thank you. Your bags look great. xx

    ReplyDelete