Monday, June 24, 2024

It's Finished!

 Earlier this year, I finished the Celosia Bag. 



On Thursday, I finally finished its twin.


The sun came out briefly, so I could get some better pictures.

The new bag is for a young man, who wanted a bag to carry his essentials for the day. It is made in waxed canvas with a waterproof nylon pack cloth lining.


It is all navy, which was hard for me, because I love colour. I added grey zippers (because that is what I had.



The bag has a navy cross body strap with a side release buckle,  Its new owner selected black hardware. 

The outer pocket has a large slip pocket.


The strap ends are covered in natural cork fabric (I could resist a bit of contrast.)

Inside, there is another large slip pocket.


My label is hiding inside!


The zippered pocket has a cork overlay. 

This bag was a huge learning experience for me. The waxed canvas is marked by scribing the wax with a sharp point. Neither fabric can be ironed so the seams have to be folded with a seam roller. I realized that I needed to do the overlay for the inset zipper because the usual zipper facing wasn't going to work in the nylon.  You can't use pins because they leave marks in the fabric. You can't really take out stitches without leaving a mark, so you have to try to get things right the first time. I hope he enjoys this bag, and uses it for a long time. It should be nearly indestructible. 

My machine and I are ready for a nice project in cotton. I dove into my stash and found this piece.



Look at all those glorious colours! Some rainbow hardware, and a bright lining will finish it off nicely.

My baby bonnet from last week is nearly finished.


It looks like a bonnet now, and only needs a couple of edgings.

I have a new fur grandbaby. Welcome to the family to Poe. His human "brother" is very excited.



6 comments:

  1. Hello from Down Under, Poe! Well done on the bag....it's interesting to try something new, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Great job and I hope he uses it forever! Lovely fabric for your new project, have fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always busy, and, more importantly, always learning. Love both bags! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing that challenging bag! And a warm welcome to "Poe" (as in Edgar Alan, I suspect?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I congratulate you on bag number 2 and yes, it is not easy to sew with all the pockets and zippers all around. Your little masterpiece... and the Lord will be happy.
    Your floral fabric is great, I saw it online but forgot the designer. I'm excited to see what you'll start with.
    This little baby hat is adorable.
    A cheerful greeting comes to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have two amazing finishes, those bags are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete