Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Presents!

I am hoping this year that I have set myself manageable amounts of sewing and knitting for Christmas presents. No guarantees, though, because I tend to add things as Christmas gets closer.

I have a finish from last week, that I want to show. One of the most flattering things a quilter can hear is when another quilter friend asks if you will make her something. I was asked this awhile ago, and I figured she was kidding. My friend is an excellent quilter, why would she want one of my bags? She asked again, recently, so I decided to make it for her birthday.

She was asking for a tablet case. I make them free form, using scraps, stitching and flipping, without a particular plan. Occasionally, I have to remove a strip, because it isn't working. I have fun, using up bits and pieces that tend to accumulate in my sewing room.

  
Lots of cat fabrics, and other odds and ends (like dogs wearing shoes).

Today, I finished the pillowcases, that I started at my quilt retreat. I find pillowcases make great gift bags, and nobody needs to store them until next Christmas. Just put them on a pillow and use them.  I also used up 6 metres of fabric from my stash!

Not a great picture, it is a really dull day. However, there are six cases, all ready to wrap presents. I use a method similar to the one found here.

I finished the first sock and started on the second sock.
These will be the younger, bigger siblings of the ones I made for myself. The black foot sort of tones down the striped yarn. Since these socks need to travel to their new owner, the push is on to get them finished.

I have a couple more little things, and some baking. No need to panic, yet.

Linking to the Needle and Thread Network WIP Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't do sew well on my gift stitching. Fortunately the supplies don't go bad. I still might get a few finished.

    A few pillow cases might get done yet. I love the stripped sock yarn. Good idea to do the feet in black.

    My Needlework Tuesday post is up now if you'd like to add a link to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice work, Kate.

    I love the idea of using a pillow case for wrapping presents. Like two presents in one! The socks are fabulous. Love the colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pillow case is a great idea, after all I have plenty of fabric......love those socks, they are great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little label, Sewn with love. This ereader cover is a master piece, I will treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Love the pad case and the pillowcase is beautiful. Those socks look so warm and snuggly. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pad case is adorable. Great idea for using up scraps. Hand made gifts are the best. I'm sure your friends and family will love them.

    ReplyDelete