Thursday, December 31, 2015

Out with the Old, In with the "New"

Back in 2005, I joined the cell phone generation, having bought a flip phone to take on a trip to Saskatchewan and Alberta. Our kids wanted us to have a phone, so they could contact us on our trip, without having to figure out where we were each day.

The trip was fabulous, we saw family, and mountains, and a salt lake in the middle of Saskatchewan (who knew). The phone proved its worth and it has been my companion ever since.

In the last ten years, I have become very adept at sending text messages composed using only the 9 keys with letters on the phone. We eventually got a phone for my husband, and humorously, he never managed to get the knack of sending texts from the telephone key pad.

Friends of ours recently discovered that we didn't have smart phones, not because we were opposed to them in principle, but because we have a "if it's not broke, don't replace it" philosophy. So, a couple of weeks ago, they gave us some new-to-us smart phones. Welcome to 2012!

Note that I immediately set my wallpaper to a kitten!

We had a blizzard this week, so I happily spent the cold, blowy, snowy day playing in my sewing room, making cases for the phones.

His  
Hers
I pulled some fabric from my scraps, measured the phones, and made a couple of slip cases. Even the batting was scraps.

This is the last piece of this fabric I have. Just enough to make the case. I would have liked some Laurel Burch fabric for the binding, too, but I don't seem to have any left. Of course, I will have to make a new purse, to go with it.

Doesn't that just scream "My wife is a quilter, and she wanted to make sure I never lost this."?

Now, all we have to do is remember to take them with us!

I was going to take the pictures, last night but my photo assistant didn't like the lighting.






5 comments:

  1. What a great gift for you both, and those cases, wonderful. Happy New Year to you and all at your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the assistant. The Phone cases are cool. After using a mobile phone for 11 years, I decided to opt out eight years ago. Cannot say I miss it, strange but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome phone cases! I just adore those fabrics.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this post....the fact that you're happy with your updated outdated phones....the fabulous cat fabric (Gosh, I'd like to get in to see your stash. It must be impressive.)....the kitten screen image....everything. Some day maybe I'll upgrade to sending texts. That's how far behind I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. I keep saying I'm going to make a case for my tablet, but it hasn't happened yet. Don't hold your breath.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete