Sunday, February 13, 2022

Hiding at Home

 I've been joking that this week marks the 100th week of my incarceration. One hundred weeks ago, a pandemic was declared and because of my immune status, I took the advice of medical experts to stay at home in my bubble.  So, here I stay, except for some carefully planned activities.  On the up side, I've been creative.

This week, I finally finished my pencil case that I started some weeks ago.


With all the bag making practice I've had this should have been a cinch. However, I realized part way in that the fusible fleece was not really needed and was actually a hinderance to getting a good looking finish. 

The pattern is called the Gemini Pouch from Chris W Designs. It is available free from her facebook group.


I now have a tidy place to store my fancy coloured gel pens (cat side) and my washable markers (dog side). My grandson thinks it is fun to have the drawing supplies together.

As a palette cleanser from the giant shawl, I made a pair of baby socks for the first great grandson of a friend. Canadian babies need warm feet!


The yarn is the leftovers from a pair of adult socks. It is Turtlepurl Turtletoes in Rasta. This is my second pair of baby socks from the leftovers. My personal shopper picked me up the perfect gift bag.


The colour, style, and size of the bag fit the socks perfectly.

I started putting together the fabric and hardware I need to make another purse. I have most of the fabric, stabilizers and a zipper. I need some cork fabric and hardware. While I am waiting for them to arrive, I'll start cutting and fusing. I put slides on the zipper to make a two way zipper.


I actually got the slides on without a bump where they meet. I am taking this one slowly, since the cork fabric is expensive and deserves careful work.




7 comments:

  1. Cute little Rasta socks.....and your grandson is right, that is a very nifty purse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those zip slides. beauty socks, and to stay home, we might be doing that VERY soon, as there are 5 cases in our small town. Way too close to be feeling safe any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The double sided pencil case is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the cork as I have not used it. Happy 100th!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your pouch. I'll have to investigate to see how the 2 separate sections are made. You are very lucky to have a personal shopper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cute socks, especially all the bold colours. Pencil case that is very well organized, your grandson has great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The baby socks are cuteness +++, and I admire your ability to make zippered bags. I find them so fiddly; I don't know how I managed to put zippers in anything when I was garment sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pencil cases are great. Such beautiful fabrics. I like.
    Just like the cute little baby socks. Beautiful colors.
    Happy sewing to you... I'm at the sewing machine too... again. That's fun.
    hug from me
    p.s. I'm already looking forward to your cork bag...nice zipper...good luck.

    ReplyDelete